Sunday, August 29, 2010

Ask and you shall be enlightened

I am not a person who reads horoscopes, but today my eyes wandered across the Sagittarius entry at the end of a book review I read in the Life and Travel section of the Sunday paper. It read, "Once you dive into an endeavor, you will realize all that you do not know about it. Keep asking. As another Sagittaian once said, 'It's not the answer that enlightens, but the question.'- Eugene Ionesco" It's funny in an almost- but -not- quite 'haha' way that just 2 nights ago I discussed with my dear friend Wilhelm, over a glass of wine during a late night hot tub chat, all the things I have learned in the past 3 weeks of directing 'The Rules of Comedy'. It has been a month of asking questions. Directing is something that I am fulfilled by in a passionate, creative, expressive, and entirely different than acting kind of way. As much as I love acting- and there can be no minimizing that- there is something about bringing an entire theatrical process together, along with all the human and creative elements that come into play, that fills me up, too. As in Chariots of Fire, I feel His pleasure when I'm doing the work of the theatre. Directing, however, is this deep and unknown mystery that I'm still just unraveling in my own experience. There is so much that I do not know. I have been so grateful to the people in my life and my cast who have offered their thoughts and insight during this endeavor. I am confident 'The Rules of Comedy' would not be the hit it has become without their input. And it has become a hit. We have had record crowds for the black box and made more money already than any other show there has made, at least in my time there. I am thrilled, THRILLED with the product we've ended up with. My challenge to you is to throw yourself into a new endeavor. The anxiety and hard, hard work you put into it- along with all the questions you MUST ask- will pay off. There is no sound so sweet to me as an audience moved by something my team has created.

No comments:

Post a Comment